Tuesday, March 11, 2008

College Life

At our worst moments, I think we all go back to the beginning. At our lowest, we are reduced to our original state, our most feral state.

That's where we find me now, munching on Cheerios, watching Scrubs. As the tiny cuts in the roof of my mouth sting with my next mouthful of happy little 'o's, I remind myself to drink more liquids when I eat dry cereal. Here I find myself at 11:30 p.m., in my crumb filled bed, in a world I feel will mostly likely fall apart at any minute, eating the only comfort food I can find in my cabinets.

Here's the thing they never prepared me for in college: the constant gut wrenching feeling of failure. And ironically enough, I know deep down inside, I'm not. It's like looking at models in Vogue feeling guilty for eating an extra doughnut at lunch. It's so unrealistic to think that I should, can or ever will look like that, but you still can't help but feel a little guilty. Just the same, a full-fledged five page resume in tandem with a lovely 4.0 GPA, oh right, let me just laugh in your face now.

I've come off another late night of working for the newspaper, studying and generally panicking about my entire future. I'm working with five hours of sleep from the night before and I'll probably only get four tonight. But seriously, fuck it. When else will I ever get time to unwind?

Speaking of which, I'm making a wish list of the things I would like to have. This is an online journal. I’m going to let the little high school sophomore come out and whine away.


______________________________________________________

So in conclusion, (the phrase my English teacher cringe to see at the end of essays) in an effort to make myself more educated, I'll include some fun facts at the bottom of my entries. That way, we all can learn!

News:
Spitzer Swallows? (courtesy of The Daily Show)
Governor of New York is allegedly caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar. The Sheriff of Wall Street was, according to reports, trapped by his own wiretapping in soliciting for prostitutes. For a man who ran on ethics, the irony is suffocating.
(nytimes.com)

Cultural Side Note:
Godwin's Law
Mike Godwin hypothesized in 1990 that in online forums, the longer an argument continued the more likely it was that a reference to Hitler or Nazis would come up. The person who generally raises this corollary both loses the argument and ends the thread. Ridiculous? I thought so too.
(wikipedia.org)

Vocabulary (my new favorite word):
quixotic, adj.

Etymology: Don Quixote

Date: 1718 1: foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals; especially : marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action
2: capricious, unpredictable
(m-w.com)


No comments: